Deep cleaning is an oral procedure that includes scaling and planing. These procedures are intended to remove plaque, tartar, and stains from the surface of the teeth.
Deep cleaning may be recommended for the following patients:
- Patients with a high amount of dental plaque and tartar buildup.
- Patients who have severe gum recession.
- Patients who have teeth that are sensitive.
- Patients who suffer from chronic bad breath.
Benefits of Deep Cleanings
A deep cleaning session offers various benefits to the patients, including:
- Deep cleanings remove plaque and tartar from hard-to-reach areas in the mouth.
- Deep cleaning by a dentist will reduce inflammation caused due to gum disease.
- The procedure reduces the risk of developing gingivitis.
- A dental deep cleaning procedure eliminates the bacteria that causes bad breath, leaving you with a cleaner mouth and fresher breath.
- The dentist polish the teeth making your teeth whiter
The procedure of Deep Cleaning
Plaque and tartar can build up on teeth and below the gum line, leading to decay, gum disease, and bone loss. A dental deep cleaning procedure thoroughly cleans the teeth and below the gum line.
A dental cleaning will remove any build-up on the teeth. The dentist initiates the procedure after a complete dental examination. The hygienist will inspect the patient’s teeth for decay, signs of gingivitis, and signs of oral cancer.
The patient is made to sit on the dental chair where the dentist performs scaling and root planing. It is performed with dental tools that removes the plaque and tartar on the teeth and the gum lines. Water is gushed inside the mouth to remove any remaining debris from the mouth.
The dentist also flosses the teeth to remove any particles stuck in between the teeth.
Your mouth may be sore or sensitive after a deep cleaning. To reduce discomfort, the dentist may recommend using over-the-counter pain medication or salt water rinses at home for the first few days.
The first week after the procedure requires more care for the teeth that have undergone deep cleaning. It’s important to stick to a regular cleaning and exam schedule to keep the mouth healthy.
iSmile Dentistry, located in Denver, CO, is equipped with the best dentists and modern technologies that enable the best dental care treatments for the patients. Call us at (303) 955-6079 and schedule an appointment with the dentist to know more about dental treatments.